Ideal Flight Accessibility phase 3

This Forum is for Ideal Flight Users to ask questions about general use. Perhaps you have a suggestion which you think maybe of benefit to Ideal Flight

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Ideal Flight Accessibility phase 3

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:58 pm

ke7zum wrote:In terms of "off ground" and add ons all I'm using is p3d, active sky, ideal flight, pmdg and sim toolkit. I did not try with the a320 I think I still have, after this flight I'm doing now, I'll see if I can upgrade again to 15 and see if I can reproduce. Also I have not been restarting the sim as my computer right now is a mess so I've been doing a turn around state and flying out again. It works well actually with IF that way, as I have the sim start at the main menu.

Not restarting the simulator between sessions with certain complex aircraft could be the reason for your trouble. Even PMDG recommend restarting the simulator between sessions because some parameters can become confused.

Try with restarting the simulator between sessions.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:08 pm

ke7zum wrote:IN doing some more testing, I did reproduce this with my a320 neo I normally fly. I even went so far as to make a flight plan and load like I normally do, I still got "off ground. I was at kpbx this time.

I tried to make the vid as quickly as possible, as I have to work soon, I did collect the IF logs from the "fake" session I did today. I have no clue if these will help but here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qhtqevdyf926 ... nd.7z?dl=1

Windows 10 21H1 (64-bit) build 19043.1110

I managed to unzip those files on another PC. Remember that because I deal with sensitive files from clients I do not install any old software and have to insist on only accepting Windows .zip files from the Explorer menu Send to zip, that comes in the official Windows Operating System installation. We all have Windows and so we all have the means to read those Windows zips and exchange them between each other without any hassle. I already mentioned this in the past.

Anyway, I finally got to check out the video and the difference between 14 and 15 is that when you see Off Ground in the Assist location list options it means the aircraft is off-ground and there are no places to choose to locate to in the air. That did not happen in 14 it always assumed you could locate even at 30,000 feet. Until I saw the video I had no idea what you meant.

There is a way to choose location items when you are in flight. If you go to the "Mission and Monitor" page, choose "Monitored systems and other actions", and check "Allow player placing aircraft on ground during flight". The Assist window locations list will fill with the available places and then you can select one to position the aircraft on a parking place or runway when off-ground.

So Ideal Flight is being signalled by your simulator that the aircraft is in flight, in other words, the aircraft is off-ground and Ideal Flight is correctly telling you this. So it is some other real problem in your simulator that shows your aircraft as not on the ground. Something is corrupting the signalling and the sim has to work properly for the aircraft to be actually on the ground and then Ideal Flight will report that you are on the ground.

In all attempts on my test PCs here the aircraft starts on the ground every time.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 pm

There are some aircraft that start-up being sat on maintenance stands and some of those report they are off-ground. In fact, these aircraft are incompletely programmed and should report they are on the ground when they are on maintenance stands.

However, we can also get around that in Ideal Flight. For these situations we can move the aircraft off the maintenance stands with the aircraft app and then in the Ideal Flight menu we will choose "Restart Monitor", then the aircraft is properly on the ground awaiting push back.

Ideal Flight works properly and uses the simulator signal that says off-ground = true when the aircraft is not on the ground.

Ideal Flight incorporates many other work-arounds for incomplete or badly programmed aircraft and other addons.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby ke7zum » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:30 am

I got it to fail with my a320 though. it showed as "off ground. and I chose a gate that was on the ground. I was able to reposition in 14 though, still can in fact. My a320 is freeware. I don't think it's my sim, as I did get this to brake with my freeware and payware aircraft I have when using 15. I don't know what could be causing this. everythign else works quite well.
ke7zum

Postby jessiepp » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:19 pm

I also got it to brake in version 15, it was with a 737-800 free plane. my sim is working properly as far as i can tell.
jessiepp

Postby ke7zum » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:31 am

I got someone else to test and they said they cannot reproduce teh issue, but I don't think they knew what I was talking about. but I wonder what could be different in our sims as all of us are running the same add ons. If I said preview 16 in my earlier post, I meant 15. Sorry about that. it is what ever is the latest in terms of preview.
ke7zum

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:47 am

jessiepp wrote:I also got it to brake in version 15, it was with a 737-800 free plane. my sim is working properly as far as i can tell.

If the Assist window Move to location list box displays Off-ground when you start a scenario, that is because the sim is sending the off-ground signal. The sim says Off-ground when the aircraft is not on the ground. Therefore the sim is not working properly - simple as that. If you can start in some locations and the box does not say off-ground then that might indicate a failure of your scenery.

You do really need to have a properly working simulator for Ideal Flight to work properly.

So how did it go when you go to the "Mission and Monitor" page, choose "Monitored systems and other actions", and check "Allow player placing aircraft on ground during flight". Even so, your sm need to work properly so that Ideal Flight can determine when you take off and land.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:55 am

ke7zum wrote:I got it to fail with my a320 though. it showed as "off ground. and I chose a gate that was on the ground. I was able to reposition in 14 though, still can in fact. My a320 is freeware. I don't think it's my sim, as I did get this to brake with my freeware and payware aircraft I have when using 15. I don't know what could be causing this. everythign else works quite well.

As I already told you a few posts ago - in preview 15 the "Move to Location" list box in the Assist window will show off-ground when the aircraft is in the air,. If you check the "Allow player placing aircraft on ground during flight" box the list will fill with locations of the nearest airport. In 14 the list fills with locations whether you are on or off ground.

Your problem will prevent other things from working properly since if you start already off ground, Ideal Flight will not know when you take off since you are already in the air.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:14 am

So to recap on the Assist window function "Move to Location":

In preview 14 the "Move to Location" list fills with the parking places and runway starts and hold-shorts of the nearest airport below you, that is when you are in flight or on the ground.

In preview 15 the "Move to Location" list fills with the parking places and runway starts and hold-shorts of the airport when you are on the ground. If you are off the ground the list says "Off Ground".

If you go to the "Mission and Monitor" page, choose "Monitored systems and other actions", and check "Allow player placing aircraft on ground during flight". The preview 15 Assist window locations list will fill with the available places and then you can select one to position the aircraft on a parking place or runway when off-ground.

If you start a scenario and Ideal Flight reports that you are off-ground your sim is not working properly, possibly an aircraft or scenery problem. The sim might appear to be working OK because it will work, but Ideal Flight will be receiving the off ground signal and that is what it uses to determine if the aircraft is in the air.

Ideal Flight remembers the location you stopped in and starts the next scenario from there. If you stopped in the air then that may be a way to start a scenario in the air. However, Ideal Flight usually does not accept that the flight is ended properly unless you are on the ground. That would be an aircraft or scenery problem.

Ideal Flight can't fix problems in the simulator, the simulator must work properly for Ideal Flight to receive signals about the location of the aircraft that make proper sense.

Ideal Flight does not alter the simulator. Problems in the simulator or with the installation of the simulator are due to the addons installed or some oddness in the system.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Well, after testing all the functions I found that the checkbox "Allow player placing aircraft on ground during flight" in "Monitored systems and other actions" might not work properly in preview 15 after all, it may be in opposite meaning, so please make sure to leave it unchecked until Preview 16 when it will work properly. I don't know if that is causing your problem of off ground - I hope that is what is causing the problem after all. Apologies if that is the reason for the confusion.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

PreviousNext

Return to General Use & Ideas