Networked PC

Any problems with your Installation or other install related questions, please post here

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Networked PC

Postby megs8888 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:08 am

Does this have to be installed on FSX pc or can it be run on a networked PC? thanks. Wayne
megs8888

Re: Networked PC

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi megs
Since IF controls FSX directly on the machine and utilises all the FSX files and indexes like FSX does, it was considered too much unnecessary network traffic to run that remotely, so the simconnect clients are left to use maximum bandwidth. The program grabs around 30Mb of RAM in its own process so it's not like DLLs (which add to the overhead of FSX), finds a spare core on a multicore windows system, and really only uses a working set of a few Mb when FSX is running.
IF has been programmed from the ground up to avoid anything that slows FSX down, including simconnect traffic. Moving maps and such like can do well from being located on a remote PC but IF reduces load best by working in tandem on the FSX host and it will be a challenge to find IF impacting on FSX in any way.
Best regards
Steve
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby megs8888 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks for answering that Steve, one more if I may, with the aircraft profiles ie cruise speeds, MTOW MLW etc are their profile stat can be imported for this as its hard work adding them to each aircraft I have.
megs8888

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 am

I'll answer this for a general audience:

Don't misunderstand the Aircraft Flight Parameters values. These are not performance data for the aircraft, rather, these values affect the way the flight is planned. Don't go through all your planes and set them up to manufacturers specs, instead concentrate on the aircraft you are using. For example setting the Cruise Max Altitude, this is not the maximum altitude capability of the aircraft, instead it is the max altitude you want the plan to allow as an increase in cruise altitude if an obstacle requires you to gain altitude along the route. The Percentage Altitude is the altitude you want the flight plan cruise altitude to be set near to, as cruise altitudes allowed depend on the direction of travel and which areas of the world you are flying and are adhered to along with airways routes - you don't dictate your exact cruise altitude for the plan the airways rules do.

Now, let's say you find you can set 1800fpm climb for a flight but then maybe next time try for 2400fpm climb rate, and then during the flight find that the climb rate cannot be adhered to depending on the atmospheric conditions for example,
- and so you find the performance of the plane :mrgreen:

An update to Include multiple setups in the aircraft flight params page will appear in a future update, for example so you can save values for "high" and "low altitude flying", and perhaps "fast" or "fuel efficient flying".

Check out the fuel planning in various threads on the site - the fuel prediction is extremely accurate once you know how to set the range - range is not easily determined without actually flying the plane. The debrief includes a max range calculation for the flight you did - taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, approach, and landing, again use these combination of values (cruise speed, alt, climb rates) to get a feel for the aircraft performance. During the flight you can get a reading and instant max range calculation from the FSX IF: Main Menu "Fuel Report".

There's a lot more to IF, merely setting a list of manufacturers specs would be boring, and anyway it won't work - use IF to determine the exact performance of the simulated model in the sim.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 am

Hi Wayne,

Actually if you want to import aircraft parameter setups you can do it; there is a parameter file that can be kept in each aircraft folder and IF will pick it up during the aircraft indexing, the settings will be forced into IF.

This individual parameter file would contain the pertinent section from the Profile folder aircraft.ini file.

The file would be constructed with notepad and examples can be found in the TurboPack Baron & C172 from my site, and in the IF Help. There are compressors, upgraded gauges, and glass panel rewrites to these addon aircraft - must have stock FSX aircraft installed.

http://download.codelegend.com/other/codelegend_FSX_Turbo_Pack_BB58_C172.zip

Steve
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Return to Installation