Having a couple more issues.

This Forum is for Screen Imp users to talk about general use

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Having a couple more issues.

Postby Blind Pilot » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Hello to all, from Ron Kolesar.
I see the list of options to sellect from after click on the icon shelf button then down arrow to Issue one.
Trying to change the aircraft.
I see the area for prop, glider and jets.
I make sure that jets is selected.
I back tab once and see the air bus.
I want to select the DF7X.
But when I try to use the letter f for Falcon, I get aircraft settings.
Is there a hot key so that I may change from the air bus to the DF7X?
Now for changing to the destination City.
I go back to the icon shelf and smack the enter key.
The good news is that new destination city is the first thing that pops up at me.
If I try to tab left or right I get the error sound effect.
If I simply smack the enter key or space bar on New Destination City it attempts to launch the sim.
So, why can't I plug in a new ICAO code for the destination city and also select that aircraft I'd like to fly.
The only good thing I've been able to do all day was thanks to Steve's help I was able to have Ron plugged in for my profile.
This is going to take for ever to learn.
But at least I am trying.
Matter of fact I'm writing this letter while using NVDA, but the jurrey is still out if I'll make it my default screen reader.
With Deep Appreciation for everyone's help on attempting to teach this old dog a new screen reader so that he hopefully soon will be able to fly once again.
Ron
Blind Pilot

Re: Having a couple more issues.

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 am

Use the tab key to move around between the header and footer. Controls to select the items are between those. Use the enter key on the menu, and on the OK button. Allow NVDA to read out the description of the control after tabbing to each. Spend a little time learning what controls are on each page by tabbing around back and forth. When you arrive at a footer the next tab takes you back to the header, then tab through the controls again. F1 to pop up the help html pages in your system browser.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Ron,

A few tips here.

First, you cannot use first letter navigation in IF drop-downs. I'm not sure if Steve can fix that with how things are custom-coded, but you must use arrows only.

Second, the easiest way to go from where you currently are to a suitable destination is to simply press enter on the homepage. It will generate a flight from where you are to somewhere random but suitable for your aircraft.

Third, if you know where you want to go, press control V and put in the departure and destination Icao codes to move your aircraft to the new departure and immediately create your desired flight.

I know Jaws is your primary screen reader, but as long as you disable the accessibility display driver in Jaws Ideal Flight plan generation will work. Jaws does use that driver to function, though, and having Ideal Flight not generate images in briefing still causes the issue. Strangely, Even after generating a flight with NVDA/narrator, loading up the flight in the simulator and then starting Jaws, alt-tabbing to the Ideal Flight window will cause a lockup.

I like Narrator with Ideal Flight actually. Shame it doesn't have mouse commands because the majority of simulator addons are inaccessible without the virtual mouse, so I can't navigate Tramp or anything else. Hopefully that'll be better with the soon to be released navigation assist with IF where we won't have to use Tramp, FSXPilot or any other piloting addons, at least for offline flying.

Anyhow, hope those tips helped.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:15 pm

In the help system (F1 key) reading the walkthrough will give some good ideas too.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Orinks wrote:Ron,
you cannot use first letter navigation in IF drop-downs.

Untrue.

Using Narrator, I navigate to the Aircraft Selection Page and tab to the aircraft Model Name list. I pressed "M" and get the Maule Orion, I pressed enter and the screen reader read out "Maule Orion". I pressed C and got the Carenado Commander and so on. So the first letter selection works OK but you need to tab to the list and make sure the reader has announced your location is in the Aircraft Name field.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Return to General Use & Ideas