Problem with Airport subset files and random aircraft idea

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Problem with Airport subset files and random aircraft idea

Postby Orinks » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi all,

Trying to make a Fly Virtual CRJ tour subset and running into some issues.

Before loading it into ideal Flight, the subset is the following:

KBGR
KLGA
KBHM
KCLT
KSRQ
KDCA
KBTV
KORD
KRAP
KDEN
KJAC
KSFO
KRNO
KSLC
KABQ
KPHX
KELP
KDFW
KASE
KPSP

I load it from the flight gen page, and now the file looks like this:

KABQ
KASE
KBGR
KBHM
KBTV
KCLT
KDCA
KDEN
KDFW
KELP
KJAC
KLGA
KORD
KPHX
KPSP
KRAP
KRNO
KSFO
KSLC
KSRQ

Why did it completely change the order of the flights?

Also, here's an idea to spice up our tours a bit and all IF users may enjoy something like this.

To add to the random aircraft feature, is it possible if we can have an option where a random, though suitable, aircraft is selected for a flight?

For example, the Props over Alaska tour Fly Virtual has that I plan on doing doesn't care which prop you use, as long as it can make the flights. It would be fantastic if Ideal Flight, along with generating everything else, can pick a random suitable aircraft from your available list of props. Right now the random aircraft feature is just for the aircraft selection and will literally be random out of all aircraft. Perhaps the random selection doesn't have to be for every flight, we could select, say, to make it random every 2-3 flights.

So, to clarify, you can select that you want random aircraft for flights, but a specific kind of random E.G. props. But also include an option to simply random the aircraft out of all of them, making sure its suitable of course before making it the aircraft for that flight. May also want to include a fixed/rotercraft filter as well... can't fly gliders on these airlines lol.

This should probably be profile specific if implemented. Maybe you're a pilot who would rather just select the aircraft and that's it and be done with it. Others, like myself, would love to be surprised to see what IF will come up with to add some variety similar to what Weather can do already.
Orinks

Re: Problem with Airport subset files and random aircraft id

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 am

The subset is ordered Alphabetically. You can add any arrangement of ICAO codes a block of lines of several codes per line for example, and when it is loaded it is arranged into order and duplicates are removed.

You are asking to have a file of airports to do a tour on having to visit each in turn perhaps returning eventually at the start. How do you know what the airports are? Are they from a printed list? Does the aircraft suit the distances? Do you have to select the appropriate plane for each leg? Would the list be from a printed page or a suggestion?

What IF does right now is show us the available appropriate airports for our setup. So if your subset contains a set of airports going east, then use the two easterly quadrant checkboxes and let IF find the next appropriate ICAO in your alphabetic subset. After the first leg, select the second location in the Flight gen page dropdown of searched airports if it doesn't come up automatically.

As you progress along perhaps your own paths as well, you can add the locations to your own subsets and by so doing you create your own tours. Use IF to create the accurate appropriate tours.

And also you want to be able to randomly select an appropriate plane for a particular type of route. Maybe it can work needs some thought.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm

So now I am nearing the release of preview 10 which has the ability to maintain a TOUR!

And it's cute, being on tour.

It's handled by the subset mechanism but is not treated as a subset. For tours, all airports are under consideration, because they are already picked out for the tour.

We go in and select the tour mode and select a tour file. We can add ICAO airport codes into the tour and edit the tour with Notepad. We can select where in the tour we want to be and after ticking OK to our landing at the tour airport, the next in the tour is selected automatically. We can override it and go where we want and pick up the tour later.

I'm not going to hang on so long till P10 because of ignoring the second plan loaded bug in the P3D v4 version.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:28 pm

...so remember that subsets are not tours they are the subset of airports we want considered in searches.

We add any arrangement and number of ICAOs and they are alpha ordered and duplicates removed for us. That's a subset.

In a subset of say 10 evenly spaced airports in a string, Ideal Flight will naturally follow the trail with the preferred flight time set in IF so it finds the next in the string. With the quadrants filter we can also get IF to go in one general direction.

In effect IF does pretty good tours already, set off around the world NSE or W and IF finds the next logical airport for your aircraft parameters.

However the ability to instruct IF from a tour file rather than us remember or type them in later is a very nice feature.

I'll be looking into the random plane idea.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:31 pm

...of course you can select a random plane in the popup menu but it may be a helicopter or a trike, and you want a jet maybe. So at the moment you can keep on selecting the next random plane until a suitable one is met. Not such fun I grant you.

:D
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:09 am

Wow, looking forward to that tour mode.

Hopefully at some point the random aircraft idea can be implemented into that mode. Though I'll admit when getting a new aircraft its hard to nail down the max range as per the sim plane. I do a little short flight in a Boeing 787, an aircraft designed for long hauls in both the sim and reality, and IF says I can only get six hours out of it. I know that with full fuel, I could make it no problem but will probably have too much fuel on landing.

For regional jets it has been perfect. I flew my virtualcol CRJ7 for the first time on a tour flight with full fuel because that's what IF gave because I didn't change the range, but after that first flight I put the range in and it's giving me a nice quantity of fuel for the routes.
Orinks

Postby Orinks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:18 am

Okay, so I have a suggestion for this tour mode.

There's a new sim addon out now that allows for a pilot airline experience called A Pilot's Life.

I can use the tour mode to essentially make a tour of my assigned flights from dispatch, and not have to worry about heading to the wrong destination. I hope the tour mode supports turnaround flights though because I'm going to have to return to the hub every few flights.

I'm not sure on this yet, but the app has UTC times for departure and arrival. Score/accuracy may depend on these times. For IF's part during tour mode, it'd be great if local and/or UTC time can be entered into the tour and IF will set the departure time so the sim is at or around that time, taking into account the prep time set in the flight generator.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:09 am

Well as you say IF get's you six hours in that plane, it's not calculated it's measured. So the sim plane consumes too much fuel compared to the real one. That's a problem with the plane and the fuel scalar, they should have used Ideal Flight during the setup phase to accurately develop the plane performance. Why not adjust the fuel scalar on that aircraft.cfg until it matches the real world range. That's asuming the engines are controlled properly which I suspect you are flying properly.

The tour mode will do that nicely. Have a go with it when I get P10 uploaded then I'll adjust a tune to our liking.

The score for late arrival can be excluded as can any scoring. Essentially you adjust the default monitor file or make a copy of the default monitor and name it the same as the plane folder for an individual plane score. Make the adjustment in there for zero points on time. Also before leaving the sim use the IF menu to uncheck any score items you don't want for say farness on a particular flight.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Return to Support