Suddenly will not run

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Suddenly will not run

Postby Larkspeed » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 pm

I just went to do a flight and upon starting Ideal Flight I get the following error:

I then fully uninstalled IF and FSX and deleted all the directories so nothing was left behind.

Rebooted my machine

I then reinstalled everything and I am sill getting the error.

I do not know what to do as it has now rendered itself useless
Larkspeed

Re: Suddenly will not run

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 pm

What was the last addon you installed before you got that problem?

It is the side by side configuration for simconnect that is corrupted. If you have reinstalled FSX and it is not recovered, then it may be difficult to repair without installing windows. IF simply cannot talk to FSX without the correct version running.
Steve
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Larkspeed » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

I had not installed any addons before it broke.

I had been running for months with the same setup without issue

it was running very merrily and then all of a sudden stopped running.

But during the reinstall process I did it like this:

bare fsx = error
fsx + sp1 = error
fsx + sp2 = error
fsx + Acceleration = error

Thats'a all I usualy run so no configuration would make it work.

And I really hope you are joking about reinstalling windows as there is no way in hell I am reinstalling and reconfiguring my entire OS just to get one add-on to work.

As far as versions go the only versions that get installed are the ones that fsx install so I don't see how there can be a wrong version anywhere.
Larkspeed

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 am

IF uses the specific functions found in the default version of simconnect that should be available to FSXSP2. However something has altered the side by side relationship of the simconnect files, they all live in the same directory. So something has to have altered the configuration since the required functions are no longer found in the dll that windows runs.

This cropped up a year ago when someone found the IF demo would not run. We never got it going, they reinstalled windows and now happily run IF, and payed twice as a means to say thanks. It is not an issue with IF.

Other addons don't use the full functionality of FSX, IF is only possible with that.

It could be a .NET installation that came with an entirely unrelated program that caused it, but IF does nothing to your FSX installation or the windows SBS setup.

Also, can you check your simconnect.ini, or delete it and try again.

Steve
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 am

It's a bit like if you double click a .txt file, and notepad pops up with the text file loaded - imagine if Paint popped up and said textfile.txt is not an image file.

In a nutshell, simconnect runs up, but the version found running is not the one called upon to run...

I'm really sorry you have this strange problem all of a sudden, I never got to the bottom of it the last time I came across it, and have no immediate remedy.

Steve
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Larkspeed » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 am

First let me apologize if I seemed terse in my last reply.

I sat down at 8 pm to have a flight and had already been trying to get it working for 3 hours by the time I posted the error.

It is now 2:30 am and I have managed to get it working again, and without reinstalling windows :)

This was what I ended up having to do:

Uninstall IF and make sure the program folder gets deleted.

Uninstall FSX and all addons again making sure that all folders are deleted

go into c:\windows\winsxs and delete all folders starting with x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect (there should be at least 2 but could be more depending on how many add-ons you had installed)

VERY IMPORTANT run regedit and search the registry for all instances of simconnect and delete those registry keys. (if you do not do this step it will not matter how many time you reinstall FSX it will not recreate the simconnect folders as it see's the keys and thinks they are already there.)

At this point you can now reinstall everything and FSX will fully recreate the necessary Simconnect files and all will work again.

Now I figured all this out by just trying various different things until I got one to work.

I short way to try would but just to delete the simconnect folders and registry keys and then do a repair of fsx and it should recreate them but I can't verify this.

Anyway there you go a working system to fix this issue without reinstalling windows. :)

---edit---

I should add this is using Win7 64bit other versions of windows may need a slightly different procedure
Larkspeed

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 am

I'm sorry I didn't mean to elicit an apology, there is no need at all here, I quite understand the situation.

How great is it that you got it going? - G R E A T !

And thanks for posting here the *very valuable solution* to a nasty problem. We are all grateful.

Now you get back to flying... :D

.. and i'll be busy finalising and uploading the full IF version[rl] shortly...
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Return to Support