Install Error FSX SE: FSX Directories

Any problems with your Installation or other install related questions, please post here

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Install Error FSX SE: FSX Directories

Postby icedon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:28 am

Hi,

while installing IF10 I get the following error: (Screenshot appended)

Installation failed: FSX Directories.
The directories are writeable. Everybody has full Access.
I already did a Reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Don
FSX-Directories.PNG
FSX-Directories.PNG (114.6 KiB) Viewed 30933 times
icedon

Re: Install Error FSX SE: FSX Directories

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:09 am

Hi Don,

Seems to sound very similar to an unusual problem that happened once before, something to do with installer permissions, or a explorer window open on a folder maybe, I'm not sure.

But anyway, first download the latest build from the Preview discussion in the New Builds section.

Make sure the IF10 installation is removed with the control panel, before attempting to install. Profiles can be restored later.

Close all apps and explorer windows and run the IF10 setup program. The UAC window will pop up to allow you to elevate privileges. Install and close.

Let me know how that goes.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby icedon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Steve,

thank you very much for the fast answer.

Newest build works :-)

Thanks,
Don
icedon

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for letting me know! And thanks for your support! :D
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:43 am

...a few notes for FSX-SE users:

After an update to the steam edition, run the new version from the steam menu and you will notice it comes up with the EULA and installs the update. We have to do that before we run the IF10 setup program so that the new version data is read, and not the old data. With that data, the IF10 setup program updates its installation for the version of FSX-SE installed.

Since the Steam edition of FSX normally starts with the UAC to elevate privileges, with IF10 we can do something to help that:

1. We can set the "Run as Admin" checkbox on the IF10 Desktop Icon, once IF10 is running as admin, when we then use IF10 to start FSX-SE, we find the UAC is not presented since we are already in admin mode.

2. We can instead, run the IF10 setup program, and in the popup menu (right-click), at the bottom of the Other Settings menu, we can set the FSX-SE executable to not require Admin mode, and then we don't have to set IF10 to admin either.

If we run FSX-SE as admin, we must also run IF10 as admin. Windows operating system only allows some functions to run when the two apps work with the same privileges, e.g. IF10's setting FSX Captionless Borderless Window would fail with different privileges.

FSX-SE Installation location problems
When we install FSX-SE in the default location, the path is very long and can cause a problem in the FSX Scenery selection window, when we add some sceney we might get an error, due to a relative path that is overlong. We can put the full path in the Scenery.cfg, or we can install FSX-SE in a short path of our own. If we make our own path, remember to add Write and Modify permissions for the Users group on our new folder. This problem should be resolved in future updates from DTG.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:23 am

Some are still having issues de-installing FSX boxed properly before installing FSX:SE from Steam.

Basically if you see "...\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" in the user docs folders then you got a corrupt FSX:SE and needs properly installing.

You should see the regular FSX folders with a successful FSX:SE install on a system that had FSX boxed previously installed and properly cleaned "...\Flight Simulator X Files".

If you got any "Steam Edition Files" folder names in your user docs and you have a FSX:SE ONLY setup - it's not going to work since the folder with the flight files and saves won't be available to the sim or addons like IF10.

You will need to remove FSX:SE and FSX boxed properly and then try again to install FSX:SE.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:54 am

Here's a list of folders that would prevent FSX:SE installing correctly:

Documents:
C:\Users\[anyone]\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
C:\Users\[anyone]\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

Pictures:
C:\Users\[anyone]\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files
C:\Users\[anyone]\Pictures\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

Local:
C:\Users\[anyone]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
C:\Users\[anyone]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Roaming:
C:\Users\[anyone]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
C:\Users\[anyone]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Program folders associated with FSX:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

Data folders associated with FSX:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Substitute in the O/S drive letter for your system (usually C:\). Rename or delete all these folders before attempting to install FSX:SE.

Next, Registry items...
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:59 am

Registry items that will prevent FSX:SE installing correctly (backup the Registry if you are not confident using the Regedit.exe tool):

User Hive:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition
also check all HKEY_USERS hives.

Machine Hive:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX
(WOW6432Node is added into these paths on 64bit systems)

Next. What to do next...
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:13 am

When all traces of FSX and FSX:SE have been removed from the system, reboot and log onto Steam.

After FSX:SE has been set up by Steam, choose FSX:SE in the Steam "Library" menu and press Play button. For the program to continue setup you must OK to the EULA, the other system settings like SimConnect are then installed.

After this close FSX:SE and run IF10 setup and see that the FSX:SE program folder is found (press the rightmost button to find the location) choose Update. This checks the current version detail of FSX:SE and automatically reconfigures to adapt to the latest changes to FSX:SE if any.

At this stage when starting FSX:SE it will pop up the UAC dialog and ask for Admin privileges to continue. This is due to requirements of the Steam menu and deployment system.

If we are OK with that we can enable Start as Admin on IF10. Right-click the IF10 Desktop Icon and choose Properties, then choose Compatibility Tab, check "Run this program as an administrator". Now when we start IF10 it will pop up the UAC dialog to elevate privileges. When we subsequently start FSX:SE from IF10 it already had admin privileges and so does not pop up the UAC dialog this time.

If we require to run with regular USER privileges (perhaps to avoid running as admin or simply we don't have the admin password as it is up to an I.T. department) IF10 Setup can come to the rescue here. Run IF10 Setup and right-click for the popup menu. In the "Other Settings" submenu at the bottom check the menu item "Starting FSX-SE, Disable require Administrator". This sets up FSX:SE to run without admin privileges. Now we don't need to Run IF10 as Admin and the sim starts normally. After Steam updates the sim or the file cache is checked by the steam properties menu, local files integrity check, then we would have to perform the IF10 Update again and include for "Disable require Administrator" if we need to.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Return to Installation