Something cool happened prior to landing, would like input

This Forum is for Ideal Flight Users to ask questions about general use. Perhaps you have a suggestion which you think maybe of benefit to Ideal Flight

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Something cool happened prior to landing, would like input

Postby Dags » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:21 am

So the coolest thing has happened on my final in Rotterdam earlier today and I'd like some input as to what would have caused it.

I am using IF10, AirHauler, My Traffic X pro 5.4, Accu feel global, and AS 2012.

At around 300 feet I'm coming in on final with my Carenado C208B Cargomaster fully loaded. I knew a KLM 737 was in pattern for landing as well but I was following ATC and thought he was number two.

Just before getting ready for touchdown, this 737 flies right above me(no more than a few hundred feet), but ATC cancels his landing, so he pulls up and does a missed approached.

Now the cool part, due to my low speed with full flaps, my plane goes nuts almost rolling to the left onto itself with nose down, but was able to pull up just in time and miraculously able to land halfway down the runway.

So my question is what program would have modeled this wake turbulence and nearly cause this disaster? I realize the 737 would have caused massive wake vertices and in real life, its unlikely anyone could have escaped and landed safely at this altitude.

I have weather turned off in IF, but would it still model some sort of wake turbulence with ground effects turned on?

Or is this something modeled in AS 2012 or even Accufeel? Since weather is not active in FSX I'm going to eliminate it out of the equation.
Dags

Re: Something cool happened prior to landing, would like inp

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:41 am

If you have IF thermals on then you can get cool sinking air outside a hot airport with air rising over the airport and includes turbulence. I think active sky does some kind of turbulence effects too.

Install [se3] (newbuilds) certain cloud situations can cause excessive thermals.
Steve
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 am

Dags wrote: Or is this something modeled in AS 2012 or even Accufeel?

It was likely AS2012 which has wake turbulence modelled which sounds like what happened to you. You can vary the effect with a slider on the wind options tab. I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of times before I started using IF.

Brent
i7-7700k, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit, DX10 FSX with Accel
Brent

Postby Dags » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 pm

You are right Brent, I just noticed the wake turbulence slider in wind options! Whatever caused this turbulence I will say it added a whole new level of realism.
Dags

Return to General Use & Ideas