Preview 11 Discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Preview 11 Discussion

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 pm

When replacing P3D the regular stuff you read is a nightmare. But P3D is simple to install and maintain, nothing like as complicated as it is made out to be by the forumites. The professional approach to P3D is listed in the installation section of the forum.

When I see stuff like P3D licenses up the shoot and any of that admin problems and CTDs and other exceptions listed, I have to ask myself why I am problem solving any of my own software on that system. I could very well be led on a merry goose chase.
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 pm

And while all that is being contemplated a story:

I helped this guy install Windows and FSX and it took all night as it simply would not run FSX. So he did it all again even more carefully and again it crashes FSX.

He was adamant that he did precisely what I told him to. So we were at a loss.

Until at some point near morning he slipped in about the 747 he was using was a famous other brand, not the stock 747. And so it transpired that every time I talked him through installing Windows and FSX, he put on his favourite aircraft before running FSX. I got him to try the stock 747 and it worked. We got an update for the addon and it worked now too, probably more likely because the freshly installed sim had now been run once with a stock plane.

What do you guys do that might pose a problem to the future reliability of your sim? Anything?

I suggest that installing in any other way than is suggested on my install discussions in the forum, I imagine will not be reliable. And that's before you get IF which will stress it more than any other.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:08 pm

...is the similarity on apple pcs or are these regular Windows PC's?
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:01 am

A situation might arise with an AIRAC Integrated, and fsAerodata removes part of the SID/STAR by accident through some other muddle in the sim data, then Ideal Flight will see that the runway is incompatible with the AIRAC. This isn't evident on my systems and it seems hard to imagine that going on with fsAerodata, it would have to be put off in some way. Since IF does not alter the sim or the AIRAC, or anything at all, then it is just indicating a change in the record for the runway somewhere.

So far I am looking back over fifteen pages and I do not have a valid set of data to work on and there are about 14 pages of me asking for simple tests to be carried out. Any takers?
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 am

Again that's nice, but this isn't about what you use or need to use.

We want to locate a problem in the sim we start with a simple known set we can all match. That's easy from the New Profile we change nothing. You tell me what values give you no popup with EGFF and the Mooney Bravo and we are on our way. Then we look into the addons - simple right?

If no one can answer my questions then I have no option but to assume you do not have any real enquiry.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 am

Airport: EGFF, Cardiff, United Kingdom
fsAerodata applied
AIRAC Integrated
Runways 12/30: Tarmac, Length 7712 ft, Width 150 ft
Set Mooney Runway Width zero, Length to:
7712ft OK
7713ft popup warning

What values give no popup for you, if any?
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 am

Orinks wrote:With every addon the sim I suppose becomes more unreliable, but especialy with P3D... most virtual airlines don't use the P3D stock aircraft.

I don't see any unreliability with anything I ever tried, the problem is in the way things are done by the user mostly. One big problem is using a different location to default to install P3D because addons are not tested much unless it's default. Ideal Flight works with the sim on any drive and IF on any drive whatever you like won't make a fuss about admin or any of that stuff. If your addons and advice worries about all that UAC and Partition Drive stuff you were misled.

Several times I've purchased addons because it is reported that some problem emanates from it and Ideal Flight working together some way. Ideal Fight doesn't work alongside addons. IF receives information from the sim in a timely fashion and gets on with it that way and minds its own business. And what do I find? the addons work, all £4000 of them.

Anyway I closed this thread as it was not helping to get the Accessibility finished.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am

Orinks wrote:Aside from trying aircraft, weather and ATC addons and either career addons, virtual airline addons or addons that enhance audio, we don't use much else. The aircraft that works best at the moment are freeware aircraft, most of which are modified stock aircraft that don't have custom systems, for the most part.

Running with a VA is simple, Ideal Flight provides the best automated attachment to VAs including using vPilot and VATSIM. The VA has a simple module that sends your lat, lon, to them. They might be a dll module in which case they make unnecessary work for the sim and can cause any number of problems simply because they are dll, correctly written or not. Safer are exe modules like IF, they make no demand on the sim. But VAs are virtual airlines and P3D is a jetfighter sim, so we are generally going to need an addon aircraft to use P3D with a VA. There is a few nice GA available though. GAs don't make all the requirements that folk suggest, they are just making suggestions so that they all have similar experiences.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:23 am

Orinks wrote:I have tried higher end aircraft before, E.G. Aerosoft CRJ. With a lot of these aircraft having custom fuel and payload systems, IF can't really interface with them. Even so, I'm hoping that the future IF screen reader can help us eventually interact with this stuff.

This statement confuses me. I'm not sure what can be the difference between planes. Ideal Flight can't interface with any planes, the sim does that.

Some planes like to have their fuel loaded with their own app. So by using their app you do no more than you do already with that plane. The increased pleasure of having it's own fuel app means you get to use that. However if P3D or FSX allow it Ideal Flight will fuel it before or after the sim starts which happily works with P3D compatible planes payload or fuel as you like.

Typically the way the sim works, the way the planes work and the way the scenery works is very hard to understand, few do unfortunately.

If I see any posts that appear to try to explain how stuff works and it's not correct I have to delete it because I do not want my users to get the wrong ideas on this forum. Post deleted...
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:56 am

:D

OK so I had some fun.

We won't have any old stuff on the forums. You can come to the support forum and ask why Ideal Flight doesn't fuel the plane, it should.

So first we check with the, yes you really, really hate it, welcome ladies and gentlemen to the, ta-da! Enter the Mooney Bravo. Ha Ha.

Still, we are only going to test out something, no need to look like a superbike rider on a scooter to yer mates. You can use the hyper complicated addon aircraft with all that fancy stuff, but it has to be compatible with starting from a saved flight file. If not, then it is not compatible with P3D or FSX, it is not a problem of Ideal Flight, that is a problem of the addon.
Steve Waite

PreviousNext

Return to Support