The IF fuel report

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

The IF fuel report

Postby Orinks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 am

Hi Steve and all,

Between me and Sarah, we have figured out that, at least with some planes, Tramp is burning more fuel than it needs to. In each aircraft or Tramp, you can configure how much fuel it burns based on how much the sim burns while flying.

While the IF assessment estimates the fuel burned per hour for the total flight, Tramp has three values that can be input for fuel burn for each phase of flight. By default, fuel flow is set to LBS and we can change the pounds burned per hour in the climb phase, in the cruise phase and on the descent phase.

Can the IF fuel report give the necessary information for this? I haven't started the long haul tour yet, however I plan to and want to make sure the fuel burn when Tramp flies is suficient.

I think that's why Sarah may be running out of fuel near her destination on these long routes, and why I'm getting inaccurate ranges because Tramp is burning too much because I've got it configured wrong. The Tramp manual says to rely on instruments to try and get the numbers, but we can't read any of those panels currently so...

Just food for thought here and if not I'll try and mess with the Tramp fuel flow to get a more accurate numbers for fuel flow.
Orinks

Re: The IF fuel report

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:36 am

Yes, in the plane use the fuel report menu item during the phase of burn you are interested in. So for example in steady cruise use the fuel report a few times. Some planes have an external flight management executable with no data available for IF. In those cases we have to do two fuel reports so that the period between them can be used to check the fuel flow. In regular FSX planes, the fuel flow can be read directly, but in some it requires a fuel flow setup which is done in the first click of the menu by IF. Wait a few seconds and choose the fuel report again for those.

In any case it's best to use it three or four times so that it can be seen to be stable.

Since the message is on the screen you will need to check the flight log after each time you use the fuel report, a flight log entry is made and has a load of values far more than just fuel. After the flight you can refer to the flight log for those fuel report entries.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 am

It shows very nicely that Ideal Flight actually enhances other fuel planning tools rather than removes the need for them.

The estimate of fuel in IF is done as in the BOEING standard document and produces the same values out in the BOEING examples.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 am

Remember when considering payloads and fuel that if the payload is large enough, Ideal Flight reduces the fuel capacity. With less capacity the range is less. The range factor in the parameters page stays unaffected because the new range with less fuel is incorporated in the estimate. Also there's a situation in most planes that you will get down to a small amount of fuel you cannot use, this is calculated as unusable fuel. When it appears there are problems of fuel range check out those things first they account for 90% of issues. Generally the planes I have tested are pretty close to correct fuelling, even so I produced a test aircraft for the purposes of fuel testing during development of Ideal Flight as a standard check. So when fuel is a problem there is a minefield to walk through to be sure of finding where the issue stems.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Return to Support