Preview 9 Discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Preview 9 Discussion

Postby ke7zum » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 am

I'm coming in late, I have not ben feeling good as of late, but anyway, here is a video that shows what's good about the preview and what broke. I think the start thing broke as I had it set to start before the sim. Is this not yet the case? I don't mind my stuff starting with the sim but I'd rather have let's say active sky start before I load everything etc. Love the preview. I really tried hard to brake it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihy8Pu_mGvs
ke7zum

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:28 am

The start apps section is under construction in 09 but I felt with my quick tests that it did work well enough. Because it changed in 09 you will need to check things through again in the starting apps section, try using the Test button to make sure the app or document loads before leaving the section.

When the item is in the period starting with IF you should restart IF to check it works, but when you exit the start apps window the items in the 'with IF' section should fire then also.

I will check the video out and see how you are doing. In Preview 10 the start apps section is completed and responds also to a per profile setting, you might need to check through that again then.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby ke7zum » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks. Yah Maybe I just did something wrong as the app never loaded when I tested it. That was under "start before sim" or was it "start before flight" I don't remember the order right now and am in the middle of a flight, plus I just got up so am a bit stuffed with fluff, so can't think clearly right now. But I hope my tired brain got it right. Lol!
ke7zum

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 pm

hehe yes it is complicated.

There's four places or periods where you start the app. described on start page of the help html.

Also there's a way to delay from that point used you add a delay app, but that's generally not needed.

Mostly you may want something to start up 1. when you start IF, or 2. when you start the flight with the Fly! button.

Otherwise the starting can take place 3. as soon as the SimConnect client is attached to the sim, and finally 4. when the scenery and plane are loaded enough for the sim to start in motion.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:11 pm

So I'm curious, what's left to work on for preview 10?

Looking forward to it! 09 is just a joy to use now, so I think it can go to flight1 soon.
Orinks

Postby ke7zum » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:14 pm

I think I'll then try to start the item with the sim and see what happens to see if that indeed works.

Take care and thanks.
ke7zum

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 am

When I don't see an app started by IF, what I do is start up notepad by selecting a txt file to start. That way I know the program is starting properly.

Then I can change the txt file reference in the start apps window for the exe or whatever the command is that is tricky to start the app. Some apps might not start from a particular exe file, look in their shortcut link for details of how the app is started and edit that into the start apps item.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:02 am

Apps started from within the simulator exe.xml occupy the cores that the simulator occupies. When starting with IF those apps will tend to find spare cores if there are plenty and the simulator will perform better.

With the Affinity Mask setting those apps can be forced to use their own cores away from the sim if there are many cores. Remember to always provide two or more cores or logical processors for each app.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:54 am

Orinks wrote:So I'm curious, what's left to work on for preview 10?

Looking forward to it! 09 is just a joy to use now, so I think it can go to flight1 soon.

In Preview 10 the start apps system is complete with Profile specified settings so we can have a system wide set and a per profile set. Since IF startup does not just do exe apps we can specify an .htm or a .txt or a .BAT as the starting feature.

Some forms are still under construction they will be completed. The new auto Tour section should be good to go. Also remember the P3Dv4 version IF only loads the initially specified IF plan and ignores plans subsequently loaded into the sim, this is an omission left over from testing, that's now fixed.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 am

It was requested to add in a feature for the start apps system to also quit the apps.

I have decided that this is not something that should be done by another program at any time. Generally a program would have a Quit item that can be invoked programmatically by Ideal Flight and the program will close gracefully, saving settings, shutting services, and so on. However this does not always happen in a safe way for all programs and systems, or that the features of the program change during the run, for example a browser may load more pages. The safer way would be for the user to close the programs when required. Programs that allow only one instance usually can be started again and again, when already running they simply surface their windows and become activated.
Steve Waite

PreviousNext

Return to Support