Preview 9 Discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Preview 9 Discussion

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 am

...and if you want to approach an East West runway from the North, then plonk yourself at a New Departure North of the approach before the flight build.

Mostly you'll be flying the same time, using the same fuel carrying the same payload climbing at the same rate, cruising at the same velocity, etc. Don't muck around, use IF.
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 am

Airport Subsets reconnect is unfinished, if you select and exit the page gives a popup when cancelled. Fixed in Preview 10.

P10 now has trail handling. So you select a special airport subset that acts as a trail. You can select to move to start of the trail.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:47 am

Steve Waite wrote:I'm confused as to why you would use goto approach with another plan? After all another plan will be read in by IF and it will have the approach and final waypoints off of a runway calculated in accordance with the minutes-to-go to waypoint setting. So you would get exactly the same waypoints with any plan so long as it is the same runway.

Ideal Flight is best used to automate those things.

If you have not got it on auto then you are probably not using Ideal Flight correctly.

First, I do have it on auto right now on my testing profile and I still got the error about the plan not being loaded. I know it's loaded though because FSTramp sees it without me having to load it first.

Second, the reason why I don't have it loading automatically is purely for a Tramp reason. In the case of some flightplan websites such as onlineflightplanner.org which don't insert a cruise altitude when creating plans, Tramp has a global altitude if it doesn't see an inserted altitude. With Ideal Flight plans or any plan loaded into the sim external to Tramp, Tramp will use its global altitude option.

For example, if I load the plan into Tramp with its open dialogue, it will not only load the plan into the sim but also set the correct cruising altitude as per the PLN file. If I leave it alone, Tramp is right now going up to 31000 instead of the 27000 listed in the briefing.

Tramp is a complete autopilot and I'd prefer it over FSX Pilot due to the way it handles. Some day if we can create an accessible interface to the sim AP to control it, options such as setting AP options that IF can do would be useful. Having IF set AP items right now does no good because Tramp does its own thing. also, Tramp auto-flies SID and STARs including altitude/speed restrictions automatically including vertical navigation. I don't know how to get that with IF and setting up Airacs etc. I like that because it gets us... not even close to sighted simmers with the study level aircraft, but it gets us closer than we were when we first started out going direct waypoint to waypoint or direct GPS all the time. Tramp emulates a basic FMS with climb profiles and such. It's not the most accessible addon on the planet, however, and the developer is particularly snappy with us.

So yeah. Right now that is why I don't auto everything with IF, mainly because Tramp will change those values anyhow based on vertical navigation, waypoints etc.

HTH.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 am

You're confused about flying SID/STAR that's a function of the AP or the FMS, that's not something IF does. If you want a route between a SID and a STAR then you point the AIRAC picker at an AIRAC in IF, that's it. IF you integrate it then you have the subset of navigation exists in the AIRAC and the sim. It's not for Ideal Flight to educate all on AIRACs and how they are incorporated into sim life. Chat all over the place in forums is often incorrect about the process which adds to the confusion.

I'm not sure why you think that IF should get any FMS or any AP to load any departure approach SID or STAR in any case. That's possible in some planes like the FSL A320, it's got a mode to pick out the approach from the GPS waypoints (not the 'GPS unit', the WPs).
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 am

quote "For example, if I load the plan into Tramp with its open dialogue, it will not only load the plan into the sim but also set the correct cruising altitude as per the PLN file. If I leave it alone, Tramp is right now going up to 31000 instead of the 27000 listed in the briefing."

What exactly is it that you are describing as the problem with the cruise altitude? Makes no sense.

If the plan is made to 27000 then why would tramp load a different altitude, and what can IF do to prevent that?

Why download plans anyway you have an infinite plan database now?
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:08 am

Remembering as discussed last night that you can't load a plan subsequent to the initial plan loaded in that particular P3D v4 preview 09. So as discussed last night do not try to use any function of that until we can test in P10.

So you start with an IF plan and it's set to 27000. That's the plan the sim and the internal sim GPS system are pre set to, as if you loaded a plan from the P3D menu and then started the sim and saved the flight with ATC tuned. You hear ATIS tuned on the comm by default at the start of the IF flight, but internally ATC and the internal GPS system are preset by the IF flight file, which is important to understand. That way the AI traffic is reliable as your flight is pre-considered with those flights.

Now start the flight and load the plan into tramp. If tramp subsequently loads the plan into the sim IF won't load that plan for the goto approach.

If that's the case then you have to wait for Preview 10 to do that.

Can you load the plan into tramp, then in the IF: Main Menu, start the flight. Perhaps that way tramp has the plan and the IF plan is the first loaded with IF.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 am

I don't download plans, I pretty much use IF exclusively now. That is unless I'm flying for upcoming Premier Virtual Airways, which dispatches flights with SimBrief.

I was just using that online planner as an example where Tramp may need to get the altitude somewhere else because when creating PLN files, it doesn't put a cruise altitude in the plan file on the onlineflightplanner site.

TBH I'm not sure why Tramp behaves the way it does sometimes, but I'll take its automated proceedures over FSX Pilot, the other only possible program to help with flight at the moment.

HTH.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Well, don't worry about it for now. I'm mid build on P10 so unfortunately can't wrap it all up and send a quick update to try the plan loading.

Let's get that going first then have another look at the AP. My intention is to use the IF platform for whatever can be done to put you in the picture. So now the main conversions are done it should progress more rapidly.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Sounds good.

So the issues standing in our way of a complete flightsim experience are:
- no way to taxi, which stops a number of us from flying online. Some do, if they get an okay by the controller that its okay to do so and some just flat out refuse to allow spawning, and it's also against the rules to connect to these networks on a runway. Even for offline flights it's just weird with taxi time being 15 seconds or so lol.

- Unable to read instruments and other panels needed to control AP: Tramp gives us some of this information while it flies, such as heading, altitude and climb rate but when close to a runway, the status bar, inaccessible to screen readers provides ground level alt. Some of my aircraft don't have a GPWS callout gauge so the landing rates are hit and miss there.

- Unable to land accurately by staying on the centerline. Not a huge deal-breaker, but it's a bit annoying to have IF assessments tell me I landed either X feet off the runway or X feet from the center line. Sometimes its way, way off, but that's partially Tramp's fault for not finishing the landing process and turns off AP 200 or so FT from the runway. Then the aircraft is subject to banking. I was able to land 9 ft from center recently but I think that was just luck.

It would be amazing if Ideal Flight could interface with the high end aircraft such as your PMDGs, iFlies, Quality Wings, etc aircraft to give speech to the FMS to be able to enter information and get proper usage out of them. The custom AP won't work in those unless you load a FP into the FMS or program the waypoints in manually.

If possible, would probably be a long way off but it's good to dream and come up with ideas.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:24 pm

What you said is what I am actually focussing on doing, that lot.

So let's hope so, I can't guarantee anything, but I'm giving it a good effort. Keep the ideas coming all very important to the project.
Steve Waite

PreviousNext

Return to Support