Preview 9 Discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Preview 9 Discussion

Postby Orinks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:53 am

Wow. What an amazing improvement this time around!

I wish we had a keyboard command to directly save settings, such as changing one setting and then quickly saving the changes rather than tabbing to okay/save. The repeat control/element when pressing enter on a control is nice, but it was also quickly to press okay. Perhaps this could be control enter? I'm not sure.

But tab and shift tab are great with NVDA now. I'm a bit confused about start programs and the new warm cockpit settings on the aircraft settings page.

For start programs, I can add a program, but the start program item only lets me add the program. If I want to then edit the program so that I can change the amount of time in either seconds or MS to provide Windows with some time in between events, I'm not sure how to do that.

Overall though I think this is almost ready for a public release!

Now for the aircraft settings, I have the current aircraft I'm flying in the aircraft settings selected to not load up a warm cockpit, while the flight generator page warm cockpit is checked and engines are starting etc. So which page matters to change the setting? The flight generator seems to be the only one that changes it now.

Great work though, very little accessibility problems in comparison to 08. I haven't encountered any yet.
Orinks

Re: Preview 9 Discussion

Postby Steve Waite » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:13 pm

Thanks. The problems with earlier versions was basic unfinished work, and giving that out early to see how things were going to work. Half the pages unworked on and an event and messaging structure interfaced with an entirely new set of controls. Then moving onto more reasonably completed release like 09, which would be the usual level of completeness before betas go out.

I'm collecting a few items from some users so I'll report a little later when I have looked properly into the queries so far.
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 am

If something isn't linked in correctly it may work the first time then perhaps falls out of tab order. One report suggest this might happen on the Cold and Dark page so be on the lookout for when a change is unexpected, try and remember what was just used or checked or edited or maybe which popup form was used. If the homepage is returned to then back to another page is it repaired or still the same. With readers like NVDA they can become upset in some apps then turn back to IF and they don't work the same. A similar effect can be seen by running up NVDA fresh but not yet having OK'd the start button.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:39 am

Preview 10 has the ability to start programs system wide, for any profile. Now has profile specific starts. System Wide starts are considered first during the starting period, next the pilot specific starts are evented.

Remember with Ideal Flight start programs section, we can specify documents as well as exe apps. So we can specify the path to an image, text or html file, example: 'c:\mynotes.htm', and the image viewer, text editor or browser starts with the specified document loaded. From Preview 10 we can do that on a per profile basis, and all profiles start with the common System Wide set if specified.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:30 pm

On the Cold and Dark page the two list boxes All.. are fuel selectors zero and one. I've updated the descriptions for those. Looking around the C & D page as a problem was reported with tabbing around there with up down arrow keys but no errors found, running the IF10 original and P3D v4 versions. Perhaps the problem was that when running into a list box or edit box the up down arrow keys only work inside the control, so Tab and Shift+Tab are employed instead.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm

Okay, not an accessibility problem, but a config file problem, a settings file problem, something is up.

I'll be uploading my config and settings files here to see if we can get down to the bottom of this. I changed absolutely nothing, yet even with the file loaded in the sim, even going so far as to check the Program GPS for flight in Cold and Dark settings! I now get file not loaded whenever I try to use the go to items in the sim menu.

First up my current config file.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:08 am

Yes as we discussed in the emails: I have corrected the issue in Preview 10. In the P3D version IF ignores subsequent plans loaded for goto approach and goto final operations. I just found myself at a glorious sunset in P3D on goto approach.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 am

...so until preview 10, in the P3D v4 version, goto approach and goto final only work when you set IF to pre program the GPS with the plan which is the default setting, as it will ignore plans loaded after the flight started.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 am

That's exactly the kind of problem we are looking for. If I have been mostly experimenting with the P3D v4 version there could be mistakes of not undoing test situations or forced values. Also in the other versions I might miss out implementing some change in one or more of those. I have code that shows the differences in files but it's not straight forward glancing through that but I'm steadily working my way through to eliminate those situations for the P 10 update.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:34 am

I'm confused as to why you would use goto approach with another plan? After all another plan will be read in by IF and it will have the approach and final waypoints off of a runway calculated in accordance with the minutes-to-go to waypoint setting. So you would get exactly the same waypoints with any plan so long as it is the same runway.

Ideal Flight is best used to automate those things.

If you have not got it on auto then you are probably not using Ideal Flight correctly.
Steve Waite

Next

Return to Support