preview 7 discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: preview 7 discussion

Postby Steve Waite » Fri May 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Tough.

You can't expect a system to work that crashes to BSOD and hold a profile in memory. And anyhow who knows what it does to your system.

You can delete the five IF folders in the data folder and restart IF from scratch that way.

Anyway let it be and wait for 08 which is a more or less working version then lets look at it.

I'm reducing the gdi resource load to alleviate the Jaws disaster prone driver. Let's see if it helps.
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Fixed it. Backed up the profiles I had to a separate folder, deleted the profiles folder and had IF recreate it, then just put the three folders back and all is well.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Fri May 24, 2019 7:34 pm

OK. When the BSOD happens who knows what the result will be. I had several files of an embarcadero editor completely scuppered by the Jaws crash and had to restore them.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Fri May 24, 2019 9:03 pm

So I'm taking my IF to the next step and trying to import an airac cycle into it.

When I copy the PMDG navigraph airac data to the Navigraph folder in the IF directory, which file do I point to for it to find the Airac cycle?

I told the installer to copy it there, so I've got folders such as NavData and Sid Stars folders in there.

I want to use a combination of the airac data and scenery.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Mon May 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Do you need to make a copy of the PMDG AIRAC?

Why not just use the folder picker in IF to point to the PMDG folder.

In any case when we choose a folder in the picker, the picker will display whether or not there is a valid AIRAC data set there.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon May 27, 2019 4:28 pm

The nav folder in the IF program files folder is set for the Users group Modify permission so we can store what we like there and will not be deleted when we uninstall IF with IF uninstall (using a cleaner app might remove those and also the registration details would be lost).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideal Flight Professional\Navdata

We can make subfolders and store copies of AIRAC sets in there if we like. I keep a selection of default sets in there.

Ideal Flight AIRAC from NavDataPro is essentially an Airbus X Extended or AXE set and if we have one of those we need not obtain the Ideal Flight set unless for completeness.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon May 27, 2019 4:32 pm

For 08 I have improved keyboard controls:

Escape key restores original control value

Alt key invokes menus

Tab and Shift + Tab move focus to next and prior controls

Enter key Saves, OKs, or Exits the current page.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon May 27, 2019 4:49 pm

There's a bunch of technicalities to understand before embarking on enhanced navigation data. Why use an added in AIRAC navigation data set?

When we select an AIRAC in Ideal Flight we can simply leave it like that selected but not Integrated.

Let's consider it this way: Ideal Flight gets the SIDs and STARs from the AIRAC and applies these to find routes pertinent to the SID and STAR.

However we might be using a plane that navigates from the AIRAC so we can Integrate the AIRAC data with the scenery data. This picks out the common airports that exist only in both sets and produces a Common AIRAC Subset for loading into the Flight Gen page.

The Integrated AIRAC is used to make plans from, there's no specially formatted set of data provided for IF like they do with other planners to make routes from. Instead IF takes an ordinary AIRAC, computes an abstract database applies other factors including terrain altitudes and describes routes available only in the common set of data. When the scenery matches the AIRAC we can make a route through it so it is usually more effective to use addon scenery and plane and AIRAC with the same data.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Tue May 28, 2019 2:35 am

The reason why I want an Airac dataset in IF is so that it can fly sids and stars as published because simply taking off with only an IDF and no other waypoints in a jet is a bit weird. Granted it will just fly the plan after that, but figured that having sid fixes and star approaches would be better.

For instance, I did a flight from KORD to KRAP in a CRJ, and I guess the runway that IF chose as its approach was very close to another airstrip or something. IF said that I landed at

Landed at Airport: 4SD4, Dan, Rapid City, United States

And not Krap or Rapid City Regl.

I'll have to do a video of that flight to see if I can land at the right spot next time. Maybe it's a Tramp thing... hard to tell without sight.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 am

Yes, as I said before, you're wasting time chasing Ideal Flight.
:mrgreen:
Steve Waite

PreviousNext

Return to Support