preview 7 discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: preview 7 discussion

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 am

You load in the SID or STAR or Departure or Approach in the FMS, you do that not IF.

The IDF and the FAF are GPS waypoints that are off the runway and certainly are not "weird".
:D
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 10:50 am

What you'll find is that the IDF and the FAF are usually described in the nav data, and often are real old electronic nav sites.

If these don't exist for a particular runway IF puts them in for you.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 11:08 am

Set up a flight you can trust because when you land off the runway it could be MAGVAR. In some parts of the world that's a big number that can easily land you 25% off the runway with real world tools that have no idea about your simulator. What IF does is compare the navigation from the sim to the AIRAC. If there's an issue that's most likely IF showing you that you have issues.

So first of all Fly in an area with neutral MAGVAR so that there can be little error in your sim compared to real world and set up some East West winds at departure and destination with East West runways.

Create a plan you can trust. The plan is simply the GPS waypoints that are fly over. Fly toward waypoints are SID STAR specific waypoints and part of the routing handled by the FMS. IF doesn't choose in the SID or STAR, that's a job for the addon plane. What you get is a plan that leads from and goes to the SID and STAR that is related to the winds at the time.

In the flight gen page choose any airways and approaches, choose SID STAR types in the mission page.

Some airports provide better navs than others so if you use a plane like the FSL A32 you can determine the quality of these departures and approaches with Ideal Flight and the 320, I don't know of another tool that does it.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 11:15 am

What you can't do is choose the SID or STAR you want to fly.

Instead we have to choose the runway by setting the winds up, or changing the runways in Edit Plan after building the flight.

Then the SID and STAR or Departure and Approach will be selected from the AIRAC corresponding with the runway direction and winds.

If you want to choose the STAR then the weather would need to be set to the desired runway you want. Which is a mode always on the list of ideas for Ideal Flight, that is to set up weather depending on what runways we want to fly.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Any ETA for Preview 8?
Getting rather annoyed with this tab order here and want that fixed ASAP.

Also, just FYI, BVI Pilots can't effectively use addon planes. Well, we can with Tramp, some of them, but we can't access and/or change anything on the FMS. Hell, screen readers can't even see it to read the pages effectively to even input anything into them.

I enabled FSAerodata in hopes that will give IF all it needs to know. It says that that nav data is installed when looking at the briefing.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Yes fsAerodata is part of the scenery but even so IF reads the underlying scenery, AIRAC and fsAerodata and geodata are abstracted into the IF navigation database.

If you try and land in a congested area of airports and land off the end of a long runway you could be deemed nearer another airport. Also if the winds are low and the runway is different to the briefing the distance to the new landing location from the planned landing will still be used. So you need to be aware of the conditions of the routes you are attempting.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Very close to uploading 08, it's a big step this one, to put all that's been learnt into this preview. But the problems you have is not knowing what's going on and that's no good if it's still not helping.

In the meantime you have a great idea of the descriptions and systems available from the 07 version if you can avoid the pitfalls of the UI.

Get a good route sorted out for test purposes as I described, check that out. After getting a known quantity go and venture onto more complex addons scenery and planes so you know what result you should be getting rather than guessing.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri May 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Sorry for the delays.

Finally I have been able to complete the list of items required to provide a presentable stable application in Preview 08.

I've not added accessibility to the start apps or edit monitor forms as there is some work to do there first but I have included a checkbox to enable/disable the start apps completely.

I've not included yet, but have developed a Speech unit to fill in where the readers can't go. Includes voice selection, volume and rate. The special thing is to not cause interruption to the sim as I will be extending to callouts and other spoken functions from data from the simulation if it can be interpreted by Ideal Flight or SimConnect or interfaces.

I'm just in final testing of Preview 08 and hope to upload tonight.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:50 am

I have uploaded Preview 08. Now available on the Preview page, in the New Builds section of the Ideal Flight forum.
Steve Waite

Previous

Return to Support