Scenery problems

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Scenery problems

Postby avey8r » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:46 pm

I've had a look at what other scenery files are affected when the add-on option is chosen, in my case with a flight from EGTF (Fairoaks) to EGHA (Compton Abbas) - both ORBX add-on sceneries. As designed, both EGTF and EGHA are enabled, however EGTF displays elevation issues. Among the many disabled files is one FTX_EU_ENG_05_Scenery. I found that when this is enabled the elevation issues are corrected, so it leads me to believe that this file, and not just the EGTF scenery file needs to be enabled for this particular ORBX scenery to function correctly.

I know nothing about scenery files and how they are used and I'm not trying to be critical of your excellent software. I was just pointing out a small problem I came across when I inadvertently chose the add-on scenery option.

Anyway, thanks again for your support and assistance
avey8r

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 pm

So you need to set that as ignored as it's required for other things - in the menu it's the next item below.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Obviously for others coming to this forum I would like to show the help on the subject - goes right there from the Index page:

Only the scenery sections containing addon airports are included in this system and any of these sections can be set to be ignored by this system with the "Add-On Airports Ignored" menu item. This shows the available addon airport scenery sections available to the auto add-on system in a checkbox list, check boxes to ensure those sections are ignored by auto-scenery. Configuration of these sections can be made manually with the "Add-On Airports Configuration" and "Activate All Add-On Airports" menu items.

It's kind of an expert function but I feel pretty easily understood with or without superior knowledge of the simulator.

One thing to find out when using IF for a while it is a good teacher of how the sim works as it follows what the sim does explicitly and presses only those buttons in the sim.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 am

...I found a couple of things I can do to improve that submenu, not much I'll be having a chance to look at that soon. So your efforts are appreciated. In the meantime it's pretty good for now.

I get it that it's like a trap waiting to fall into for the unwary - where's my airports gone heh! However it is actually borne from what experienced sim users often do; they go into the scenery library and uncheck scenery they don't need for the trip, leave it unset for some trips maybe forget to check it back after.

Typically big ORBX libs and other scenery that covers large areas might have loads of airports so all collected under one section. We would generally exclude at least the one of those from the auto process or there's no scenery to go with the terrain. Some ORBX libs terrain files stays in place ACTIVE=TRUE or FALSE giving rise to your misaligned levels - frankly it's a bug of theirs, and to be fair - it has caused a great many headaches and reinstalls.

So if relatively new to IF there's possibly some other things that might be misinterpreted. So any worries come straight here.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Previous

Return to Support