Add On Airports

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Add On Airports

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 pm

"I enable in the add-0n airport config but IF disable it after starting flight."

Addon-Airports Configuration in the popup menu - you disable things in there. Any scenery you don't want changed or maintained by auto-scenery you uncheck in there! Very simple.

"A button on the flight planning page with asscess to the add-on airport config would be great.
Just a little airport scenery manager."

That's not such a good idea. You need to set and forget, you don't want to be changing stuff around. Then IF just enables the two airports, AI is recomputed to use the stock airports where they are disabled.

"I like to see scenery from 6 to 11 thousand feet so I need whatever am flying over to be active."

That would be everything enabled so simply don't have auto-scenery enabled. Scenery outside the bubble isn't an effect.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Set up as I have shown and only the two endpoint airports are enabled for the flight there is nothing else to consider. That's all you need - it is automatic.

If there is scenery shown in the IF Addon-Airports Configuration page - you uncheck those that you do not want enabled or disabled - you want it left the way set in the scenery page of the sim.

Apps that enable all the scenery along the route have accomplished nothing. Messing with scenery on and off by hand is largely a waste of time.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:55 pm

The reason that the simulator takes longer to start up in the morning after we have added loads of new scenery the day before is because it finds all the airports in there. But when in the simulator it does not take more power to load all those other airports. Only those airports within the bubble are fed into the sim for display (the display area is bigger than the reality bubble around the player but after a distance the detail is not loaded) and so don't affect the sim performance - only turning off the scenery along the route can do that. Ideal Flight (all versions including basic) do that automatically - it is all you need.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby reecemj » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm

This should be used with "Add-On Airports".Ugh :D . Loaded a fp of Orbx LOWI- EDVY. All the Germany scenery is disable but the add on LOWI EDVY airports surrounding scenery is still there. More of a high flyer config.

But if the airport is included in the Germany scenery(not a add on airport) IF disable the file.And the detail airports in the Germany scenery become default. This is what I see in my test.

Next loaded a fp EDQM EDDM. Airports in Germany scenery (not airport add ons).
Create Subset files
Activate All Add-On Airports
In Add-On Airport Configuration unchecked all the scenery areas I would not be flying over.
Loaded sim and scenery library is config the way I check it in the Airport config.

This is the way I would use Add on Airports. Manually set the scenery. I like to see detail Germany scenery while am flying over it so its enable. Disable the other scenery for faster loading of the sim. Leave it like this while in Germany ill be there for a while.

I had to see this in the sim to get it. Sometimes I have to see it happen to get it. :lol:

One big point I learned from you, scenery outside the bubble does not effect the sim. Scenery in US does not impact sim performance when am flying in Europe. Its been debated for years in the sim world. But I believe you have tested this some how. :lol:
Reece...Using IF10 Pro
reecemj

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:34 pm

If you look at your scenery config page in the sim, they are all the sections. Only new sections containing airports are included in the IF auto-scenery. So if the scenery has no airport it is not considered, scenery like that is usually not a concern.

Yes the tests have been made and the fact is that only scenery that's likely to come into view affects the sim, meaning all the scenery along the route. So the only thing you can do to save resources is turn off the intense airports along the way, everything else doesn't matter.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:25 am

"In Add-On Airport Configuration unchecked all the scenery areas I would not be flying over."

Reece, I just noticed this.

Do not uncheck areas you don't fly over:

Only uncheck areas you do not want set by IF. These areas won't be enabled or disabled by IF. That is why there is no need to access the list from the flight generation page.

Any airports that are not the two endpoints of the plan will be disabled prior to running the sim from the Fly! button. That's the best we can do.

Enabling only airports along the route accomplishes nothing. So although IF disables every addon airport it need only really disable those along the route but that's more confusing if we look at the scenery.cfg.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Previous

Return to Support