Your helpful tips.

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Your helpful tips.

Postby Orinks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:56 pm

This update simply can't come fast enough. I've spent the last five minutes or so messing with the P3D menus to get to the go to approach option with minimal success. I was able to do it once but can't do it consistently. I use that option to practice to get better landings.

Does going to final put you just about where you're about to capture the glideslope/ILS? Or is it too late for that?

Well, I'll use approach for now.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Yes, go to final will be out a few minutes from the runway plenty of time to catch the glideslope, that's what it's for. The computed approach waypoints are based on your approach and landing speed and you can adjust the time between them. You are placed in a similar situation with go to final and go to approach. Approach puts you around 90 degrees off your runway with the 60/30 vector approach ahead of you. You can set 45/45 approaches too.
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Ideal Flight Computed Approaches

IF provides fully customisable computed approaches. In the mission page there are 5 time boxes that contain the time to fly each leg. At the front of these is a drop down that has long, medium, and short. Choose long and then you will get further away from the landing point on final. The first time box after the dropdown is Final Leg Time. Followed by 30 degree leg, 90 degree leg, second approach leg, first approach leg. So when we choose Go To Final that is the place in the route we appear at.

The touchdown point is just in from the runway end. If you are landing in the other direction to the briefing then that place will be further away at the other end of the runway. Leading to "landed 11,000ft from touchdown" in the de-crief.

On the weather page we set wind speed and direction in order to select the desired runway and direction, we don’t just choose a runway. We can overrule the runway in IF, but that’s not how flying works.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:31 am

Why does the briefing graphs of KTAS/KIAS sometimes show a higher temperature near ground than in the air with low altitude flights?

This can happen setting off in the colder climate at dawn, and arriving at a hotter climate at midday.

This is because the IF KTAS/KIAS graph shows the departure temperature at cruise altitudes and the destination temperature at ground level.

:D
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 am

Hot Pitot?

In the default warm cockpit the heater is on the pitot. This might seem strange to some experienced pilots as a default setting. The default warm cockpit in Ideal Flight enables pitot heat because with Ideal Flight weather the plane will continue to climb on AP without intervention. Weather injected by IF in terms of atmospheric detail is accurate. The main problems with the simulator weather are with the available granularity being large the effects are imparted as obvious layers or steps in the weather. However, in Ideal flight atmospherics like temperature gradient are continuously variable and not stepped.

An example shown here of temperature with altitude gained, using the Ideal Flight >augmented and Professional graphing analysis:

The image shows graphs of altitude climbing with temperature decreasing with respect to altitude (OAT). Also in the graphs the airspeed is shown.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:22 am

User Interface Design

Currently Ideal Flight is being modified for accessibility, specifically screen reader support. There are maps and things in IF which are not suitable for blind users but in general IF is good in other respects. Almost all the information about flights and records in IF are accessible through the Web Browser.

The program is the only 'complete solution' available. That is, it can produce the entire top-down simulator instruction list from the press of one button.

To produce completely logically handled flights, including plans, exports, programmed gps, procedural any-time weather, ATC and AI traffic, running and monitoring the sim, starting right into the cockpit from one button press - Everything.

Ideal Flight uses what is known as a Corridor UI.

We have an 'outside' area with front access. Outside we can make changes that affect the operation of the entire program. This is the Start Page - Indexing and Data Configuration.

We go through to the corridor or Home Page, airport page. Now we are effectively inside we can affect changes to a specific pilot profile.

It's important to realise that not all settings stick to a pilot profile. Some settings stick to the aircraft and some also stick to the overall use for all profiles. There are so many possibilities that a compromise is taken. It can all be changed, so if deemed possibly necessary, changes are considered in the interests of all users.

Only by experienced use will it become apparent exactly what stays where. Usually those settings are logically placed, for example, 'aircraft cruise speed desired' stays with the aircraft, not the pilot profile.

So now we have rooms leading off from the corridor and must return to the corridor to access other rooms. Rooms include selecting an aircraft, viewing records, selecting a profile, and so on.

It might seem slightly tedious not being able to go directly from profile to flight build, without visiting the main home airport page (corridor) first.

We don't get lost, but more importantly the program must look at the entire simulator platform for changes each time we change to the home page. Because we can at any time fiddle with the sim or system, install and make changes and forget that IF is running.

There are some rooms only accessible from primary rooms. When we enter the aircraft selection page, or the flight generator page, we can go on to pages containing the flight parameter list for the aircraft, and another page provides us with the style of flight, the Mission page.

The Flight Generator page also provides access to the Cold and Dark settings. These enable us to impart cold or warm settings throughout the aircraft. Disabling the page with a check box gives us the default warm cockpit.

We can leave the program, close it, from any room, we do not have to return to the corridor or to the starting page.

Although IF is extremely robust it handles every aspect of the simulator and even the operating system. Therefor any problems unfound as yet in a sim or system might come about when we use Ideal Flight the first time.

As a lifetime systems problem solver I've designed Ideal Flight from the ground up, as an engineers tool, it's also a fantastic development tool, especially good for airport and aircraft design.

Ideal Flight backs out of problems found so as to not interfere with the outcome, for problem solving sake. We can find notes in the flight and index logs of IF that help on problem solving systems. Ideal Flight has also been designed with non-interference as a top priority. We will rarely see any affects on the sim through the use of IF. We might see things using IF, as every facet and corner of the simulator is instructed. IF is a good test for any system and I install Ideal flight to test a flight sim system as it makes no changes to the simulator or the system and is completely reliable in that respect.

Internally the program is designed with accessibility in mind. The upgrade to accessibility specifics for screen readers is not too much work. It is mostly an exercise in producing the correct text and help in the right controls in a way that can be understood without sight.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby reecemj » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks Steve! Its good to know IF is a great app and you are behind it 110%. I may never use more than 50% of IF but am having fun with that. ;)
Reece...Using IF10 Pro
reecemj

Postby Steve Waite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 am

I can't wait to get this new preview uploaded, the accessibility upgrade has gone a long way to improve the app overall. There's plenty of improvements and nice touches going into the new build as well. I'm almost there, I've landed and am now taxiing back to the hangar for de-brief and preparations before the passenger flight.
Thanks again for all the help in the past, and same goes for all the support I've received.
:D
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:49 am

Pretty sure this'll be the longest taxi in history. Lol.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 am

...wait till I get back to the hangar, could be there's a canteen. I'll be needing a coffee break. :mrgreen:
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

PreviousNext

Return to Support