Vertical sync

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Vertical sync

Postby bark » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:07 pm

I currently have the demo version of IF.

When I start a flight from IF and transition to fullscreen in FSX after the flight has loaded, vertical sync is disabled, even though it is supposedly locked on in both my nVidia control panel and in the FSX.cfg. I suspect this may be due to the options of having the kneeboard and/or the ATC window showing at startup, as seen in the "Cold and Dark Items" setting within the "Flight Generator" page of IF. I cannot disable these items as the demo version will ot let me, so I cannot test my theory. I have tried to close the kneeboard and ATC windows before I go to fullscreen, but this has no effect.

When I start FSX without IF, vertical sync is enabled.

Any insights?
bark

Re: Vertical sync

Postby Steve Waite » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:28 am

There's nothing going on to mess with VSync that I can think of.

Perhaps try closing IF before Alt+Entering full screen, that would eliminate IF for a test.

regards
steve
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby bark » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:06 am

Hey Steve - thanks for the reply.

OK, so this is a bit of a mystery to figure out. I did as you instructed and VSync was on when I went into fullscreen. I restarted IF and reloaded the flight, and VSync stayed on. I figured at that point you might be masquerading as a magician or something :lol: However, further tests were hit and miss - VSync stayed on some times and other times it did not. The closest consistency I could pin down was that if the FSX window is the focus when the progress bar reaches 100% and the flight loads, then VSync is enabled in fullscreen. If I'm off somewhere else, messing about with my browser etc. when FSX fully loads, and I then make the FSX window the focus, VSync is off when Alt+Entering into fullscreen. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I will continue to mess around with it and report back here with my findings if you are interested.

BTW - when starting FSX without IF, 99% of the time VSync is on in fullscreen, whether FSX is the focus or not when loading.

James
bark

Postby molleh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:44 pm

I would say with 99.99% certainty that IF is not at fault here. It has absolutely nothing to do with your graphics card drivers or settings, or FSX.cfg, or any of that. What I would do is try saving a regular flight from within FSX (doesn't matter what kind, just do it with FSX, not IF) and run your testing by double clicking the saved .FLT file found in the My Docs\FSX Files folder (point Windows to load it with FSX.exe if it asks)
molleh

Postby bark » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I would say with 99.99% certainty that IF is not at fault here. It has absolutely nothing to do with your graphics card drivers or settings, or FSX.cfg, or any of that.

Which is why I said this whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. This shouldn't be happening . . . yet it is. But the consensus is it's not IF, so I need to look at other things. Thanks for the advice on running FSX from the .FLT file. I hadn't thought of that, your help is much appreciated :)
bark

Postby Steve Waite » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks molleh.

Hi James,
How are you testing for VSync? The program you are using may not be showing the current configuration all the time but an old reading since the screen device is reconfigured when you start FSX...

Make sure the GPU control panel setting for FSX is at "Let App Decide".
Steve
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby bark » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I think I might have it figured out, and yes - it has nothing to do with IF.

I did as molleh suggested and started a non-IF flight with the .FLT extension, and same thing - if the FSX window was not in focus when the flight fully loaded, VSync was off. When the window was in focus, VSync was on. Did this for multiple flights using .FLT and IF not running even in the background.

When I normally start a flight, I always go to the startup screen and pick the a/c, airport, etc. When I do that, VSync is always on in fullscreen whether the FSX window is in focus to start or not, so it looks as if the .FLT is causing the issues, definitely not IF

No matter, at least now I know, and I will let app decide VSync in the GPU settings and see how that goes.

Steve, molleh, thanks a bunch for your help - I much appreciate it.

James
bark

Return to Support