preview 7 discussion

This Forum is for Support questions only for Ideal Flight. Please post other questions and suggestions in the General Use & Ideas Forum

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: preview 7 discussion

Postby Steve Waite » Wed May 15, 2019 6:52 am

With pressing the search button and a reader present, focus jumps to the header, but should stay with the search button. Thanks for spotting that.
software architect at codelegend.com
i7-3960x 32Gb GTX680 4Tb Intel RAID 10 Win10
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed May 15, 2019 9:55 am

Pressing the Search button results in Shift Tabbing not working unless the page is reloaded. I've found what caused it and solves a number of problems throughout the program, including for non-reader mode.

Thanks to Sarah, this was actually a hard one to solve.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 am

Remember that Ideal Flight works to make Narrator and NVDA act in the same way, it does nothing for System Access or Jaws at all, they are on their own.

In the More settings page we can select between Narrator or NVDA to see which suits Jaws or System Access better.

Jaws and System Access are more heavyweight apps but Narrator and NVDA are lightweight less work on the PC when the Simulator is running.

Narrator and NVDA are being fed by Ideal Flight, they don’t strain to find what to read they are led to it programmatically by Ideal Flight.

Ideal Flight deliberately organises lots of text and descriptions behind the scenes that are not shown on screen to sighted users.

It is nice to use IF with a reader whoever you are.

Warning

At the moment a jaws driver will crash the PC with a BSOD and reboot when loading up Ideal Flight or building the maps during flight gen or just viewing maps.

Many cartographic apps and other apps using windows graphics including Microsoft outlook and office apps, have the same effect when the Jaws driver is operating.

The Jaws driver falls over reading some image data. The only thing I can do in IF is simply disable all graphics. I went through chasing one thing after another till it became evident no single thing caused jaws to BSOD, it was on its own path. However it could be a Windows problem.

In the mean time it is not recommended to use Ideal Flight on a system with Jaws installed and drivers enabled.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

I think Jaws should have its own setting to disable graphics so those of us using NVDA don't have to have all graphics off.

I don't know how to contact the Freedom Scientific higher-ups about this, this is pretty critical. Outlook doesn't seem to crash here though.
Orinks

Postby Steve Waite » Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm

I have to stress you might not have a problem with outlook. The quote I posted was from an outlook user with the problem. Therefore some do have a problem and some don't, maybe their personal settings show different graphical behaviour in outlook, maybe something else is on the system.

What should by now be obvious is that after a quick google there's thousands of entries about that and none about IF.

Some PCs have problems with outlook, others do not, some have problems only in the build flight phase during running IF, and others can't start IF at all. It is because of the presence of other software, the GPU and several other things plus Jaws.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm

The delay to 08 will continue for a few days.

In the meantime expect all the user interface features to be working properly and some accessible descriptive sequences improved throughout the program.

Hopefully Preview 08 will be good enough for general use with and without readers. There will be issues yet to resolve, and the start apps forms are not yet done. There are quite a few nice touches gone into it though so wait and see.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

I changed the home page so that readers can be tabbed between the two pages, pilot and flight details, the first page up can be selected in the menu. Sighted users have a range of buttons to alter the interface view which have not been extended for readers other than the home pages order.

I'm working through a small list of niggles and improvements required in various places for the readers before uploading 08.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri May 24, 2019 7:30 am

...I am hoping to upload 08 later today...

Preview 08 should be complete enough for beta reviewing. The exports, failures and registration forms now have accessible controls.

However, the Start other apps feature is getting an overhaul in 09 and so that and its sub form are yet to be upgraded for accessibility. Plus I am looking at other features for possible inclusion.

In 08 for the x64 version P3D, the Gauge will show fps and quality rating during running the sim with or without csv (character separated values file) logging enabled in the records page.

In Preview 08, gaps in tabbing various places and problems associated with losing tab focus should be fixed. I'm hoping we can find any that have been missed out. For example using a button or feature that alters the user interface perhaps enables a control that remains disabled or the tabbing can't recover without restarting the page. I've had to link hundreds of situations for the accessible text. Even so if this means the accessibility upgrade is more or less completed in three months that is good time.
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Fri May 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Unable to finish today, sorry for the delay. Will upload 08 in the next few days.
Steve Waite

Postby Orinks » Fri May 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all,

Running into a rather critical issue here.

The Jaws driver has been enabled for some time now, simply because I forgot to disable it, and I haven't noticed any issues. Late last night I noticed some slowdowns with NVDA with it sluggishly moving through the IF menus. This morning, I finally generated a flight.

Generated a flight today and the Jaws driver did its thing and locked up the PC and made it reboot. I then disabled it, but NVDA was still slow with the IF menus. I then went ahead and renamed the config and settings INI files. This fixed the sluggish issue, however now when IF goes to update the indexes, it crashes to the desktop. This is my second time trying to do this. The first time it tried to update the indexes it froze as though locking up like before, but my profile details were still on the screen.

Thoughts? Renaming settings and config INIs reset it as though I were to reinstall it, so I'm kinda annoyed...
Orinks

PreviousNext

Return to Support