Cannot find IF Add-On menu in FSX

Any problems with your Installation or other install related questions, please post here

Moderators: Steve Waite, SysAdmin

Re: Cannot find IF Add-On menu in FSX

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 am

Bottom line here is we've refunded someone that say's they've worked day and night on their problem but simply haven't responded with an answer to any one of my suggestions and enquiries, and appear to have strange debug traces from FSX.

Repeat: If you don't get a menu in IF it is most likely because there is a paused situation when starting up FSX and IF10 decides to time out.

IF10 retrains when connected to FSX for maximum performance and this mechanism is sensitive, but this results in no impact on frame-rates detectable with IF10 running.

The timeout, sensing, and other refinements in version [sf] have been made to retain a connection that looks fragile. But put simply, IF10 won't connect and take readings from a dodgy setup since no-one wants to find their flight record messed up. If this is your case then try another addon aircraft or removing other programs from the FSX start-up until IF10 runs. So far only two planes have been found to cause this, FSL Concorde and an addon beech 200, no other items have been identified. These work fine in version [sf].
software architect at codelegend.com
equipment: i9-9980Xe 64GB 2xRTX2080ti NVLink 2TB M.2 NVMe,
i9-9900X 64GB RTX2080ti 2TB M.2 NVMe, i7-3960X 32GB GTX680 4TB RAID10,
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby RagsInRags » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Wow Steve - You were busy all night :D

Steve Waite wrote:Oh yes, for someone claiming to know a thing or two about programming, IF10 has a robust logging system, how else could I have made it? :lol:

Does IF10 HAVE a log created? IF10 is an independent exe running on my machine (and on ALL other machines). The only log you have pointed me to is to the SimConnect Trace log. While you will definitely be using the Simconnect Logging framework when inside the simulation, where are the log entries "Before" getting into the simulation (from the time I press "Fly Now" to the time IF10 establishes a connection with FSX)? If its there somewhere hidden on my machine, it will really help unravel the problem.

You have also mentioned a couple of times about time-out. Is there a place where IF10 "logs" that it is exiting or "doing nothing" because a timeout occured?

Bottom Line - the logging may be great once in FSX. But there is no log created by IF10 outside of FSX framework. So in situations like these where the "assumed problem" is the user machine setup, you have no way of finding out till what point IF10 reached and where it is stuck. All you are doing is guessing based on the "absense" of logging in the simconnect trace. If there is a log IF10 creates, I have been asking you the question from a long time - please let me know where I can find it !

Steve Waite wrote:Bottom line here is we've refunded someone that say's they've worked day and night on their problem but simply haven't responded with an answer to any one of my suggestions and enquiries, and appear to have strange debug traces from FSX.

Lets not mislead the forum here. Can you please be more specific on what suggestion and enquiries you have made for which I have not taken action or responded?

The only suggestion you have made right from the start is that there is something wrong with my machine. And I have been trying hard to pinpoint that problem with my machine. You have asked me to try running IF10 with only FSX and IF10. I have done that too. As far as the enquiries - if you read my responses, I have answered every question / doubt you have had (IMHO). If there are any I have missed out, let me know. I will definitely try to help. I want this working more that you do. I may be one of the 1000s customers for you. But for me, I have only ONE IF10 product.

Steve Waite wrote:Repeat: If you don't get a menu in IF it is most likely because there is a paused situation when starting up FSX and IF10 decides to time out.

The default behaviour of IF10 is to start-up FSX in paused state. There is an explicit option in the flights settings for this (which I can no longer access because my registration does not work any more - and I am still waiting for my refund). If you think checking this option (start FSX unpaused) would solve my problem, Amen! Please let me know how I can test it on an unregistered version.

For everyone reading this thread: By now you must have realized that Steve is a vehement supporter of IF10 (which is a great product - if it works, and I am sure it does most of the time). He is just so passionate that he is unable to see beyond normal issues and so cannot focus upon trying to solve your problem. He would rather expend his effort defending the product and doubting your intent, truthfulness, and intelligence.

Steve - Lets be adults. If my machine IS that ONE in the 1000s where IF10 does not work, accept it and move on. Dont go about accusing me of not giving enough information or not providing you with evidence enough to prove that SimConnect is working fine on my machine.

And if you can get your head out of the sand to suggest something that will really help me, I am more than happy to listen.

Peace bro !
RagsInRags

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:54 pm

The paused/unpaused setting is simply a true/false in the .FLT flight file which FSX is started from, with the hidden command line, like double clicking a .FLT file and FSX starts with the flight. Once FSX starts simconnect starts and IF10 waits for the addons to load and communicates with FSX in a non forceful way and waits for information do deal with. IF10 won't communicate with FSX while another addon is registering for events and data in a continuous loop. If you can run IF10 standaloane, and do that before installing anything that can disrupt the SXS subsystem, you will have a working IF10 and by definition a working FSX. You, sand, head, out!
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

You won't need to have it registered to test it, on your system it will work or not work in demo mode same as registered. You can edit the Pause=True to False in the .FLT file so that the sim starts running, with notepad see: C:\ProgramData\Ideal Flight 10\Flight\New\0_Ideal_Flight.FLT near the top of the settings.

With stock scenery and airport, and stock plane, and blank dll.xml and blank exe.xml you will find IF10 works, if not then the simconnect SXS subsystem is corrupted.

Steve
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Sorry about the registration lock out, I only did that last night since by then I thought you'd given up. Do you want to cancel the refund? Trouble is it's probably gone through the bank by now though.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm

LOGS?

The logs can be displayed from the right-click popup menu or can be found in:

C:\ProgramData\Ideal Flight 10\Log

There's a more comprehensive development mode log too but not much use in the product version.
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby Steve Waite » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Steve Waite wrote:With stock scenery and airport, and stock plane, and blank dll.xml and blank exe.xml you will find IF10 works, if not then the simconnect SXS subsystem is corrupted.

It's also possible an internet security program could block IF10.

The start of the FSX trace should show this:

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0
0.00254 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Pipe, Name=\\.\pipe\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimConnect, MaxClients=64
0.01358 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv6, Address=::1, Port=59138, MaxClients=64
0.01453 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv4, Address=127.0.0.1, Port=59139, MaxClients=64
> 1.64569 [127, 1]Open: Version=0x00000003 Name="Ideal Flight 10 v 10.011se"
NAS @7TB RAID10 (16TB)
Steve Waite

Postby RagsInRags » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Steve,

Did the complete re-install. The default Dll.xml has 3 entries. I am assuming this is OK (you did not really mean "blank" dll.xml right?)

No luck with that.

Now... I checked with SysInternals to figure out which version of Simconnect IF10 is using. I had asked you this question before but you had responded saying it was irrelevant. I found that you have mentioned (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=311)
Steve Waite wrote: IF uses SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0 which spans all versions from Standard and Deluxe through to Acceleration".

But on my machine, IF10 is pointing to 10.0.61242.0.
SysInternals-Snapshot.jpg
IF10 referencing Simconnect v10.0.61242.0
SysInternals-Snapshot.jpg (193.22 KiB) Viewed 14426 times

According to information on Microsoft Site (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526983.aspx), the version of simconnect that IF10 will reference should have been coded as part of the header library you have used for building the exe! (nothing to do with my machine).

In order to verify my theory that IF10 was indeed referencing SP1 SimConnect version -
1 - I reinstalled ONLY FSX (without SP1 or SP2). Then tried installing IF10. As expected, IF10 complained that FSX was not installed on my machine.

2 - I installed SP1. Reinstalled IF10. IF10 did NOT complain about missing FSX. It started FSX and did nothing.

For some reason which completely escapes me - my IF10 installer is referencing the wrong version of Simconnect DLL.

And please dont even think about blaming it on my machine. My machine does not control which version of Simconnect IF10 wants to connect to (10.0.61242.0).

The only explaination I have is that I downloaded the EXE from my account link on SimStop. There must have been some vesion error on the exe I downloaded. If there is a way, I can send the copy of my exe to you, you might be able to re-produce the error.
RagsInRags

Postby RagsInRags » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm

This is my current dll.xml. I dont have an exe.xml. And all planes in my current installation are stock planes.

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>
RagsInRags

Postby RagsInRags » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 am

I downloaded the latest demo version from http://www.codelegend.com/idealflight/d ... efault.htm

Even this downloaded version is referencing v10.0.61242.0 and not v10.0.61259.0.
RagsInRags

PreviousNext

Return to Installation